What is a Danceworks Residency?
Danceworks residencies create an opportunity to integrate movement-based educational activities into your organization’s everyday routine, to introduce students and clients to a variety of styles of dance, and to get people moving and and have fun dancing together! Every year, Danceworks partners with over 60 organizations including schools, adult day care facilities, community centers, non-profits and businesses, to design custom arts residencies of varying lengths with diverse goals. Programming can connect to academic content areas, a theme, or be based on a specific style of dance.
Complete survey here and a Danceworks staff member will get back to you to organize your residency and get your group dancing!
Residency Highlights from 2019-20:
- A small group of elders meets on Mondays for an hour at St. John’s on the Lake retirement center for a therapeutic movement group.
- Kindergartners and First Graders at Hopkins Lloyd Community School participated in 18 weeks of creative movement classes throughout the school year.
- Blessed Sacrament School created a five-week Dance Sampler Residency for their 5-8th graders that included instruction in Jazz, Salsa, Tap, Musical Theatre Dance and Hip Hop.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee hosted dance parties for kids and adult partners to learn a Hip Hop dance and try a Zumba class!
- Danceworks’ artists visited the Ronald McDonald House of Eastern Wisconsin for five interactive family workshops.
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School provided their students with an eight-week Dance Sampler Residency that included instruction in Jazz, Contemporary, Musical Theatre Dance and Hip Hop.
- Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra hosted a Danceworks artists for a workshop focused on movement and musicality.
- The Saturday Scholars of Unity in Motion participated in a 16-week Dance Sampler Residency that included Tap, Hip Hop, Swing and Salsa.
Want to bring a residency to your site? Contact Dani Kuepper, Artistic Director, at 414.277.8480 x6001, or via email.