Camp/Workshop Policies & FAQ
Policies for School Day Off Creative Arts Workshops and Summer Creative Arts Camps:
What to Bring:
- Workshop/camp participants should bring a healthy lunch and light snack. All lunches should be packed in a thermal bag/box with your child’s name clearly marked. You may also wish to provide a nutritious snack for your child during break time. (Refrigeration will NOT be provided for lunches, snacks, or drinks.)
- If your child is in a half day camp, please send them with a healthy, light snack.
- All workshop/camp participants need a reusable water bottle each day of camp.
- Please dress your child comfortably in cool, loose, layered clothing. Children will be dancing, painting, and doing other physical activities without changing clothes, so please make sure their clothing is adaptable and allowed to get messy. You may wish to provide an art smock for your child to help avoid messy stains on clothing.
- Bare feet are best for dancing. If your child does not like to be barefoot while dancing, ballet or jazz shoes or other elastic-type slippers may be worn.
- Please make sure that your child’s first and last name is on all items that your child brings to camp.
Other Important Information:
- DO NOT park in the Reserved parking spaces of the Danceworks parking lots before 5pm. There is limited visitor parking available in the lot to the left of the Water Street parking lot entrance, and ample parking on the street.
- Please DO NOT drive up to the Danceworks entrance to drop your child off.
- A parent/legal guardian (or person authorized for pick-up) MUST enter the building to sign their child IN AND OUT at the beginning and end of each day of a camp or workshop. The person picking up your child must be 18 years or older.
Withdrawing from a Camp:
- If a student should need to withdraw from a camp and we receive notice at least three weeks prior to the start of that camp, a full refund will be issued, less the $25 deposit. If notice is received after the deadline, a credit for the full amount will be issued. Credits can be used for any Danceworks class or program and will remain on the student’s account for one year from the date the credit is issued. Transferring camp fees from one week to another week is possible depending on availability of the individual week. Advance notice is required to transfer to another week.
- Danceworks reserves the right to cancel any camp or workshop that does not meet minimum enrollment. Cancellations will be made at least two weeks before the camp is scheduled to begin. In the event of a camp cancellation, registered campers will have the option to move to another camp week; apply camp tuition as a credit on their account; or request a refund. Credits can be used for any merchandise or programming at Danceworks and are good for one year from the date issued.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Does my child need to have prior dance experience to attend?
- Unless indicated, no prior dance experience is needed. Danceworks’ teaching artists are professional educators who are experienced in creating inclusive educational environments and working with students of all levels and abilities. Each creative arts session will be age-appropriate with an emphasis on trying new things, enjoying the creative process and having fun.
How is the day structured?
- Each full-day camp or workshop will include four different arts activities—two sessions and a short break in the morning, lunch (not provided) in the middle of the day and two sessions in the afternoon. Each half-day camp will include two disciplines with a short break in between activities.
What if my child does not want to participate in a particular activity?
- All campers and workshop participants must participate in all activities. Our camps and workshops are committed to the development of the participants’ life skills through group activities and exposure to diverse experiences.
Can my child take a camp or workshop if they are not the right age?
- Each camp or workshop is designed for the ages listed, and participants must be in the appropriate age range to participate.
What should my child bring each day?
- Full-day campers and workshop participants should bring a lunch and water bottle that can be filled throughout the day. All lunches should be packed in a thermal bag/box with your child’s name clearly marked. You may also wish to provide a nutritious snack for your child during break time. Half-day campers should bring a snack and water bottle. Art smocks are available to use at Danceworks, or your child is welcome to bring their own.
Will my child need special dance shoes?
- Campers and workshop participants can wear ballet or jazz shoes if they have them, but they are not required. Lightweight sneakers are the best alternative. Please label all shoes with your child’s name. If your child’s camp or workshop will include tap dancing and you do not have tap shoes for him or her, shoes can be borrowed from Danceworks for the week at no charge. You can also purchase dance shoes at Danceworks. Please call our office at 414.277.8480 x6007 for more information.
How will a week-long camp end?
- Each camp will end with an informal performance during the last 30 minutes of the last day of camp. Family and friends are invited to attend and bring cameras and video cameras to capture all the fun that their children had during the week!
Does Danceworks offer before and after care?
- Danceworks offers before and after care for full-day camps and workshops only. Please see the camp fees or workshop fees sections for info.
Other questions? Contact Teresa Drews, Youth Programs & Facilities Coordinator, at 414.277.8480 ext. 6006 or by email.